About a month and a half ago, I decided to build a Jewelry Organizer for my final project for Tech Design. It was a fairly simple design, but despite it’s simple-looking appearance, it really did take a long time to make. Initially, I was going to make a desk organizer, but I figured that would be boring.
I drew on planks of wood, later realizing that I still had to plane them, and then after planing, I’d have to redraw everything, that was a bit of a pain — and also very time consuming. I then began to cut all of my pieces, and when you cut, you have to sand. Sanding does also take a long time — fortunately we have a sander machine, which makes everyone’s life easier! YAY! (Of course, I did manually sand some things, but the sander did save a lot of time).
I then went on to use the router, to make dado joint-grooves (for my shelves). I used this machine a lot — I made about 20 cuts with it! For some pieces, I had to make my own guard because some lager pieces were to be cut in the middle. This was a bit tricky because sometimes I wouldn’t apply enough pressure when routering, and then I’d be left with a non-straight cut.
GLUE! Glue was my best friend for this project. It was very easy to work with, and left me with a sturdy product (except for some of the shelves, which I glued on an angle, and thereby resulted in the right side of my project to look completely uneven).
In terms of building my frame, everything was fine, except for the back. Unfortunately, I forgot that in order to make the back piece, I’d need a really tall and wide piece of wood, a piece that we didn’t have. Luckily, we had a dowel board that was large enough for me to cut a chunk out of. However, after “precise” measuring, I still had to cut off a bit of the board. But, because I was negligent, I cut my board too small, and had to glue back the piece I cut off, so that the board would fit my Organizer. Whoops. From then on, I’ve learned to be extra slow using the band saw.
Originally, I planned on creating drawers at the bottom of my Organizer, however, after realizing that the drawers, would be super small on the inside, I decided against them; I’d be using tons of wood to make all 5 sides, only to leave me with almost no room inside the drawers — waste of time and wood. I then decided on using hinges to make flaps. I was really excited to do so, but then I realized that if I were to use hinges, they’d have to stick out of my Organizer, and I really didn’t want that, because it would add too much bulk to the Organizer. Thus, I decided to leave them out entirely. This is a big change, but I think it’s better, because there is a large storage space at the bottom; it’s more practical.
In terms of adding a “center-piece” on top, I decided against it, because again, it would add bulk. Besides, I like it better plain and simple — sometimes less is more (only sometimes :p ).
Using some sanding tools, and an awesome carve-tool, I was able to make grooves in some of the “dodo” cuts I made for the rods. I preferred using the carving tool, because it was precise, and a lot easier to use, because it works by cutting, not friction.
In terms of the rods, instead of using the Drill press to make holes for them, I chose to use the router to make a full groove, so that I’d be able to remove the rods. Thinking about it now, I wish that I could’ve made the rods more sturdy in some parts of the shelf, because they are a bit loose.
All in all, I’ve learnt to be patient; not to rush my work, but take my time and pay attention to detail. I’ve also learned to plan ahead; when I set day-by-day goals, I’m able to keep up with what’s going on, and I’m able to complete the task.
Overall, I’m proud of the product I’ve made. It does resemble my initial plan, minus the center piece and the drawers at the bottom. I wish that I hadn’t rushed the last two days of staining, because I feel like my final finish wasn’t done to perfection. Regardless, I set a goal, and kept up with it, and I’m proud. There isn’t one specific part that I’m proud of, but I do really think I did a decent job sanding (everything, except the grooves to hold the rods). I’m least proud of the back. It would have been perfect, if I was just patient with the bandsaw, but I wasn’t, hence the glue-work near the bottom. Regardless, it was a learning experience for me, and overall, I think I did a great job :).
Finally, I’d like to conclude by saying that it’s been a crazy but amazing semester, and (no-sucking up intended ;) ) I’m so glad that my last-ever high school class was tech design. Hooray! OH right. AND I’m so glad it was with the most amazing teacher ever, Ms. Antle (okay some sucking-up intended :D).